HB Reavis announced that its construction in the Slovak capital, the New Nivy zone, has been awarded a BREEAM Communities certificate at the Excellent level. It assesses the positive impact of development activities on the environment in which they are created with an emphasis on responsibility.
Three years ago, the New Nivy zone, which is becoming the modern centre of old Bratislava, met the demanding conditions needed to register for the assessment thanks to its unique features and the overall concept and complexity.
After undergoing an assessment process that lasted 36 months, the final score was achieved, one that secures one of the highest levels of BREEAM certification – the Excellent level. The New Nivy zone is the first construction to ever receive this certification in Slovakia, proving it fulfills the highest standards of social, environmental and economic responsibility.
What were the most successful areas on the assessment scorecard?
- support of the local economy, creation of new jobs
- development of a Demographic & Economic Impact Study
- extensive communication with the public through the ‘Thanks to you, our neighbours!’ campaign – collecting feedback and ideas for improvement on a regular basis (the campaign itself was awarded “The Best Purpose Campaign” at the Digital Communication Awards in 2019)
- creation of green infrastructure and relief from ecological burdens
- air quality monitoring and evaluation during the whole construction process (inclusive of a microclimate study)
- transportation upgrades – high quality bike infrastructure and more
Regional leader, top 4 in the world
The trend of confirming strategic approaches by going through highly demanding certification processes is still not very common in Europe.
In Slovakia, the New Nivy zone is the only project to have received such an award and there are no more registrations. There aren’t any in Czechia, Hungary, Austria or Germany either. There’s just one in Poland: HB Reavis – Forest development.
Two of the projects that outperformed the New Nivy zone in the percentage score worldwide are in the UK and one is in Norway.
A supra-regional shopping centre, a bus station of international significance and a modern urban marketplace where customers can access fresh groceries and the finest domestic products. All of that at the heart of a vibrant business zone at the border of the historic city centre.
“Nivy Station is a project very dear to my heart. Not only for its unique combination of services and location in the heart of Bratislava, but also because of the team that always tries to bring something new. From custom screws and bolts to the final design or the portfolio of brands we will find here in 2021.”
Jakub Gossanyi, Head of Development
Expected gross leasable area: 100,000 sq m
Expected delivery: 2021
Concept architects: Benoy / Siebert+Talas
- Mixed use complex
- International bus station
- Shopping mall
- Fresh market
- Green gardens on the roof
- In the middle of the business district